The Robert Sutherland Award for Excellence in Translational Research
Professor Robert Sutherland AO was the Director of the Cancer Research Program at the Garvan Institute for 27 years, Senior Principal Research Fellow of the National Health and Medical Research Council and inaugural Director of the Kinghorn Cancer Centre in Darlinghurst. He was a former Board member of the Australian Cancer Research Foundation, Cancer Council NSW and Cancer Institute NSW and served on various committees including the National Health and Medical Research Council. In 2010 he received the NSW Premier’s Award for Outstanding Cancer Researcher and was made an Officer of the Order of Australia (AO) “for distinguished service to medicine as an international contributor to the research of cancer, the development of Australia’s research capacity and through leadership roles in advisory bodies”.
The Robert Sutherland Award for Excellence in Translational Research recognises Translational Researchers and their achievements and contributions to improved patient outcomes as well as scientific excellence. The recipient will be invited to present a lecture at the 2020 BCT Annual Scientific Meeting (ASM), will receive travel support to attend the ASM and a financial contribution of up to $10,000 towards their research or professional development. The award is open to Translational Researchers worldwide. The Award is offered annually, and if awarded presented at the ASM. The award will be made at the discretion of the Board.
- This award is open to Translational Researchers worldwide, who wish to enhance their knowledge of clinical research, in particular breast cancer clinical trials research.
- The recipient will be selected from the confirmed speakers attending the ASM. Nominations can be made at anytime of the year, for consideration at the next ASM.
- The recipient does not need to be a member of BCT but must be nominated by a Full Member of the Group.
- The Award will cover the cost of attending the 2020 BCT ASM including return economy class airfares, accommodation for the duration of the ASM and full registration. All travel and registration for the successful applicant will be organised through the ASM Secretariat.
- A financial contribution up to $10,000 towards support the recipient’s research or professional development. These monies will be facilitated by BCT.
- The Robert Sutherland Award for Excellence in Translational Research recipient is expected to be available and participate in all ASM activities from 22- 24 July 2020.
- The Robert Sutherland Award for Excellence in Translational Research recipient will be invited to present a lecture at the 2020 ASM.
- A nomination form must be completed online and submitted by midnight 20 March 2020. Nominations will include a CV and supporting statement from the Nominator/Referee. The Nominator/Referee must be a Full Member of BCT.
- Nominations are considered by the BCT Awards Committee and awarded at the discretion of BCT Board of Directors.
- Nominators will be notified of the outcome of their nomination by early May 2020.